Capacity constraints were impacting on the ability of the pharmaceutical business to release products to market. 3D modelling provided the opportunity to identify the core roadblocks.
Supply chain assessment was undertaken to assist this client in managing inventory investment and customer service by improving the process of capacity planning and execution. A pharmaceutical operation has a considerable investment in infrastructure to support the production process of semi state and final products.
As the pharmaceutical supply chain is very complicated with multi stage processing and raw material supplies from numerous vendors, capacity planning is reliant on an ERP system that is not flexible. 3D simulation creates an environment where load planning is visual and more responsive to a traditional ERP system.
We completed a recent supply chain assessment to focus on this area to understand how physical inventory and data moved throughout the business to influence decision making for manufacturing. By using forecast demand and planning settings, we developed a 3D simulation model to optimise inventory movement throughout the entire manufacturing plant.
A visual capacity planning process, created many opportunities for this organisation to increase tank utilisation while operating within their inventory policy. This approach enables the S&OP team to create a realistic production plan to optimise tank utilisation. Production bottlenecks were easily identified, allowing for more process improvements to be implemented. The entire simulation was extremely interactive allowing users to conduct what if scenarios on vessel capacity and inventory levels.
- Current levels of tank utilisation were very poor, some tanks not even used for days.
- Work order management and release processes were not standard protocols
- Regulatory constraints around document and process compliance created delays for planning.
- Resources were not utilised efficiently throughout the production and warehouse operation
- The cost of goods for manufactured items was not clear and accurate for financial planning
- New As-Is workflow model was created in a dynamic simulation model
- New processes and procedures implemented for work order management to production.
- 3D simulation model provided ability to run scenarios and alter product cycles to tanks
- Tank utilisation levels increased by 30% with volume spread more evenly to all tanks.
- Resources were now focused on supporting required materials to support forecasts.
Our 3D simulation model delivered a quality outcome for our client which is being used to improve other aspects of their operations that were previously extremely difficult to problem solve due to the challenges of traditional data analysis models that were complex in their development, construction, interpretation and solution implementation.
A Turn Key Solution offers your organisation the same opportunities to improve the health and direction of your supply chain, logistics function or warehouse operations.We provide supply chain assessment modules, process simulation, warehouse automation, business integration and quality supply chain resources for project management or interim support to build a sustainable supply chain for your organisation.
Supply Chain Assessment Modules
Select from our range of supply chain assessments and take the opportunity to validate your supply chain and logistics processes, practices, metrics and technology systems. We offer flexibility with our modular approach, content area focus at the right cost for your business. Our supply chain consultants, logistics consultants and warehouse consultants are experienced and will work through these assessments at your pace.
- Supply Chain Strategy Assessment (Develop a supply chain strategy that balances cost, service and efficiency within a dynamic market place)
- Supply Chain Planning Assessment (Sales forecasting, planning and execution for managing inventory investment for the business)
- Inventory Management Assessment (Manage inventory investment with the right tools and controls within your warehouse or distribution centre)
- Warehouse Management Assessment (Warehouse operation can increase throughput and efficiency with the right layout, storage and processes)
- Performance Measurement KPI Assessment (Supply chain capability increases with regular performance measurement focussed on the right areas)
- 3PL Outsourcing Assessment (Moving to an outsourced 3PL is a significant step & requires careful consideration, planning and implementation)
- Supply Chain Technology Assessment (The right supply chain technology mix will drive performance across the core areas of your supply chain)
Our supply chain consulting practice uses advanced 2D or 3D simulation modelling tool's to provide our clients with the latest process based integrated solutions to improve supply chain performance in real-time, identifying issues and bottlenecks within a virtual environment. Take a look at our supply chain simulation, logistics simulation, warehouse simulation and distribution network model.
Quick process wins are delivered much faster, while structural supply chain changes require capital investment in warehouse automation and distribution solutions for your operation. Advanced supply chain optimisation is the aim by integrating ERP, WMS or Manufacturing systems to achieve real time visibility.
Supported by a strong industry specialist network, we are able to meet the supply chain challenges your company is facing today. Strengthen your supply chain, distribution centre, warehouse or manufacturing facility with integrated warehouse automation systems and distribution solutions. Custom made materials handling, storage and retrieval systems range include: Conveyors, Fulfillment, Robotics, Packaging, Sortation, Shipping Systems, Software and safety equipment.
We also offer a comprehensive review of your warehouse operation to make sure that the right solution is identified, planned and implemented. Depending upon the outcome of the review, we also offer a range of services that support the final automation solution, namely: a warehouse layout and design service, warehouse process modifications, warehouse systems or a warehouse layout design for a specific area.
Business Integration and Consolidation
We assist organisations to create a "Right Sized Supply Chain Model" for their business. This may involve consolidating your supply chain network, merging multiple businesses, establishing a new warehouse facility or assessing 3PL viability and outsourcing options. Our experienced has contributed to delivering a range of quality supply chain solutions for our customers.
Project management | Interim management support
We provide a project management service or interim management support to assist any supply chain initiative. Qualified and experienced supply chain managers, warehouse managers, distribution centre managers and project managers are available to meet your interim project requirement needs or long term resource placement strategy.