In today's business, transformation projects are usually the result of an organisation identifying opportunities to consolidate to create a stronger growth platform. Importance must be placed on synchronising information technology and business processes with standards to support major transformation initiatives.
Our supply chain strategy consultants utilise PMBOK, a proven project management methodology. PMBOK incorporates all of the project management elements from project governance, project scope and functional requirements through to a full implementation.
Depending upon the scale and complexity of your project, the PMBOK methodology can be simplified to remove bureaucracy without compromising project delivery quality standards.
Business Transformation Issues
Given the nature of business transformation projects, there are some common issues that organisations strive to overcome. Within our planning process, we ensure that all items are discussed, assessed and incorporated within a change management program for implementation. Effective communication across all levels of the organisation is essential.
Customer service issues
- What will our customer service function look like once the business transformation is completed?
- How do we manage to implement different practices, moving towards a single standard?
- What communication planning is in place to keep customers aware of these changes?
- Will the customer service function be outsourced or remain within the new business unit?
- How do we develop a standardised CRM to support both lines of business?
- How many warehouses will be transitioned to our supply chain network?
- What will be the total cost of running all warehouses within our supply chain network?
- Do we continue to lease warehouses in regional locations to maintain a market presence?
- What is the impact on our distribution centre to support the additional resources and equipment?
- How can our fixed costs be allocated correctly to reflect the true cost of each warehouse operation?
- Is there an opportunity to change our buying behaviour and utilise higher volumes for negotiation?
- How do we range our inventory for each warehouse to provide high customer service levels?
- What is the impact on the planning function once the business transformation is completed?
- What is the right mix of inventory investment for each warehouse within our supply chain network?
- Do we implement a centralised or decentralised inventory policy for the business?
3PL Warehouse issues
- Is there a migration plan towards a 3PL operating model within our supply chain network?
- How to we determine which 3PL provider is the right partner for our business?
- What is the right 3PL cost model for our organisation and can we share the benefits?
- Outsourcing to a 3PL requires specific knowledge and skills, do we have the knowledge in house?
- What is the impact on our ERP and WMS systems when we consolidate our supply chain footprint?
- Migrating different ERP systems requires specialist systems knowledge and understanding.
- Do we migrate different systems or standardise to a single ERP platform?
- What is the impact on business reporting systems and data integrity?
- What is the true cost of running multiple supply chain technology platforms within our organisation?
Having implemented complex ERP systems, WMS and RF solutions our aim is to implement a solution that offers a fully agile and lean approach that speeds up delivery without impacting on the quality of project deliverables.
Its the overarching policies, regulations, processes, procedures, rules, responsibilities and protocols that control the life of the project. A framework for business transformation that clearly defines the roles and responsibilities of all stakeholders, the BAU state and the likely future business state after capital investment.
A governance model also embraces the methodologies, tools and standards for the organisation's resource pool by applying oversight for organisational decision making and change control protocols management. A PMO (Project Management Office) is typically used to manage your business transformation project.
A project scope statement is defined by the organisation after an extensive review of high level business requirements. The teams formulate the project deliverables and outline the core objectives against specific metrics which form the measurement criteria for the project.
Business Requirements Document
Represents a more detailed understanding of a future state solution and becomes the baseline for commercial contracts and variation management. The aim is to link the core items from the project scope document, undertake an AS-IS review, understand limitations/constraints and work towards a detailed design brief for the development phase.
This is a typical phase for a systems project and will go through a number of iterations between project team members and relevant external parties. A structured, high quality business requirements document will determine the path of success for your project.
Multi-level collaboration is encouraged as it creates a more favourable outcome during each stage of the project. People are being heard, their ideas formulated and contribute directly to the final state solution. This is essential for managing large functional teams as the pressure will build around cost controls, time creep and scope creep issues that require escalation and resolution.
Testing and Implementation
All technology based projects follow rigorous compliance testing, verification testing and deployment protocols to ensure that what was designed will function as planned within a sandbox environment. Issue resolution continues to be managed as part of this sandbox testing environment to provide a clean and fully functional product. Cutover and migration planning supports the next phase of the project for deployment into a live environment as part of the change management program.
A Turn Key Solution offers your organisation the same opportunities to improve the health and direction of your supply chain, logistics function or warehouse operations.We provide supply chain assessment modules, process simulation, warehouse automation, business integration and quality supply chain resources for project management or interim support to build a sustainable supply chain for your organisation.
Supply Chain Assessment Modules
Select from our range of supply chain assessments and take the opportunity to validate your supply chain and logistics processes, practices, metrics and technology systems. We offer flexibility with our modular approach, content area focus at the right cost for your business. Our supply chain consultants, logistics consultants and warehouse consultants are experienced and will work through these assessments at your pace.
- Supply Chain Strategy Assessment (Develop a supply chain strategy that balances cost, service and efficiency within a dynamic market place)
- Supply Chain Planning Assessment (Sales forecasting, planning and execution for managing inventory investment for the business)
- Inventory Management Assessment (Manage inventory investment with the right tools and controls within your warehouse or distribution centre)
- Warehouse Management Assessment (Warehouse operation can increase throughput and efficiency with the right layout, storage and processes)
- Performance Measurement KPI Assessment (Supply chain capability increases with regular performance measurement focussed on the right areas)
- 3PL Outsourcing Assessment (Moving to an outsourced 3PL is a significant step & requires careful consideration, planning and implementation)
- Supply Chain Technology Assessment (The right supply chain technology mix will drive performance across the core areas of your supply chain)
Our supply chain consulting practice uses advanced 2D or 3D simulation modelling tool's to provide our clients with the latest process based integrated solutions to improve supply chain performance in real-time, identifying issues and bottlenecks within a virtual environment. Take a look at our supply chain simulation, logistics simulation, warehouse simulation and distribution network model.
Quick process wins are delivered much faster, while structural supply chain changes require capital investment in warehouse automation and distribution solutions for your operation. Advanced supply chain optimisation is the aim by integrating ERP, WMS or Manufacturing systems to achieve real time visibility.
Supported by a strong industry specialist network, we are able to meet the supply chain challenges your company is facing today. Strengthen your supply chain, distribution centre, warehouse or manufacturing facility with integrated warehouse automation systems and distribution solutions. Custom made materials handling, storage and retrieval systems range include: Conveyors, Fulfillment, Robotics, Packaging, Sortation, Shipping Systems, Software and safety equipment.
We also offer a comprehensive review of your warehouse operation to make sure that the right solution is identified, planned and implemented. Depending upon the outcome of the review, we also offer a range of services that support the final automation solution, namely: a warehouse layout and design service, warehouse process modifications, warehouse systems or a warehouse layout design for a specific area.
Business Integration and Consolidation
We assist organisations to create a "Right Sized Supply Chain Model" for their business. This may involve consolidating your supply chain network, merging multiple businesses, establishing a new warehouse facility or assessing 3PL viability and outsourcing options. Our experienced has contributed to delivering a range of quality supply chain solutions for our customers.
Project management | Interim management support
We provide a project management service or interim management support to assist any supply chain initiative. Qualified and experienced supply chain managers, warehouse managers, distribution centre managers and project managers are available to meet your interim project requirement needs or long term resource placement strategy.